Yam and Roasted Cashew Soup
500g (1 lb) yams, peeled and sliced
4 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsps olive oil
1 tsp red chilies
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup flour (I never seem to need a thickening agent like this)
3 t soy sauce
1 tin (6 oz) light coconut milk
Few sprigs coriander (cilantro) plus extra for garnish
Salt and pepper
1 cup cashew nuts
1. In a large pot, boil yams in vegetable stock fifteen minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large fry pan and add chilies, ginger, garlic, carrots, onion and saute until soft.
3. Mix in flour with a wooden spoon.
4. Pour in the stock and yams.
5. Blend all in a food processor until smooth.
6. Return to large pot and simmer fifteen minutes, add all the coconut milk.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, pour soy sauce over cashew nuts, toss to cover, and bake ten minutes, turning several times to brown evenly. This can be done in skillet on stovetop.
8. Add the few sprigs of coriander and seasoning to the soup.
9. Serve the soup and garnish with coriander leaves and cashews.